This morning's breakfast was an even more odd option of scrambled eggs and some kind of tomato substance. I went with cereal again.
We covered Blake in Brit Lit today. The man had a depressing, atheistic, socialist view of the world. I'm beginning to wonder if we will ever cover any non-atheist in depth. Between Blake and Pullman...
I remembered to bring my camera to Art class. The classroom we are in for that is much more what you would think of as an Oxford classroom, though the education system here doesn't quite need classrooms.
We were supposed to go on a walk today, but due to the weather, they just set us free. Therefore, some girls and I decided to fulfill a class requirement and experience a traditional lunch at a pub. We asked the porter for directions to the best one close by and were sent to "Far from the Madding Crowd." At first, we couldn't find it, but upon exploring an alley, there it was!
After lunch, we trooped to the Ashmolean Museum. Those Brits and their plundering, imperial ways have constructed a pretty impressive museum! Full of mummies, Egyptian artifacts, pieces of temples and amazing Grecian statues.
The quick jaunt home -it's only a block! - and I did some computing. Having been inside all day and thinking the rain had let up a bit, I walked about the gardens, wielding my camera. The rain had never really stopped, but with gardens like this... And gates and tunnels and an over-abundance of enormous ducks. (All the birds are huge! The pigeons' bodies are the size of over-inflated footballs. Also, I saw a magpie!)
A walk before dinner is lovely, especially if dinner was much better yesterday's. A tomato and mozzarella salad, followed by fish with potatoes and zucchini and finished off with chocolate cake. I haven't mentioned it, but they serve juice with dinner! Apple and orange juice just doesn't pair well with dinner to me, so I drink water, preferring to get my juice fix after my afternoon walk, since it isn't offered during breakfast!
After dinner, Zach, Susan and I went to the pub here on the grounds. Some actual Oxford scholars wandered in, looking out quait in their traditional academic gowns. I figured it would be an atrocious breach of etiquette to take their picture.
Cheers!
No comments:
Post a Comment