Brit Lit class was boring, but Arts class was great because instead of sitting through a class, we walked to St. Mary's Church to climb up the tower. Holy smokes, Batman, that tower was crazy! But I'm getting ahead of myself. First we had to walk down Broad Street to be shown were Cranmer and the other traitors (martyrs) were burned. A cobblestone cross is embedded in the center of a highly commercial area to mark the place. The weird part was the gate tower: of course it isn't even near the edge of the city now, but at the time it was a watch tower where prisoners were housed. They were executed just a few yards away from the prison/watch tower.
St. Mary's Church is close by the Radcliffe Camera (pictured below), the reading room for the Bodleian Library.
The church itself was quite gorgeous. It gave me chills, not because of the chinks in the marble from where Cranmer's stage was set up, but realizing that so many great people had been there. From canonized saints like Edmund Campion to amazing writers like C.S. Lewis to great theologians like John Henry Newman... If I have to hear one more person whine about Cranmer, I will scream!!! The man was a traitor, not a martyr! Anyway.
After wandering about the church, we lined up to climb the tower.
We finally got to ascend the stairs and take a look at one from the best vantage points in Oxford. The city really did spread out before you with ant-like people.
carvings in the spire
We circled the tower only to find that it was a dead end. Our entire group of about 20 crowded onto the tower and went all the way to the end. The last up the tower had to be the first down. Fear of tight spaces and of heights began effecting the first group up before they were finally allowed down.After St. Mary's Tower, we were set loose. We passed by the "Bridge of Sighs," which is a copy of a covered bridge in (I think) Venice.
A few of us went to lunch at the covered market, then on to the Botanic Gardens.
We walked home through Christ Church (college). This is the WW2 memorial garden. You can see the Tom Tower. Our group will be touring the whole college later, so I'll have more pictures later!
I don't recall what was for dinner.
Note that I'm trying to do this in order, one day at a time. Even though I'm behind in posting, I'll try to give each day the proper coverage.
No comments:
Post a Comment